Skyler Page, creator and executive producer of Cartoon Network’s Clarence animated series has been fired from the network. Page, a CalArts graduate and storyboard artist for Adventure Time, is accused of sexually assaulting a female artist who also works at Cartoon Network. The Cartoon Network spokesperson said that the show- which is still in its first season-will continue.
Mystery continues to surround the fatal shooting of a 10-year-old boy who was watching Wreck-It Ralph in a southern Mexico City theater.
Hendrik Cuacuas died two days after a November 2 shooting when he, his father and 12-year-old sister were viewing the animated Disney film, according to an continuing police investigation and local media reports.
Cinepolis, the chain owning the theater, was a Twitter top trend Tuesday.
Strangely, the boy’s father and others in the theater said that they did not hear any gunshots.
Hendrik was hit in the head by a 9-mm bullet at the theatre in the rough neighborhood of Iztapalapa, prosecutor Edmundo Garrido said Tuesday.
According to an autopsy report, the victim was shot from four to six feet away. It said that the bullet entered the front of his head. Oddly, however, the coroner was quoted as saying that the shooter was not necessarily standing in front of the victim.
The boy’s father, Enrique Cuacuas, told investigators and radio station Radio W that his son was sitting on his right side in a full theater when, roughly half an hour into the screening, he heard something whiz past his ear, then the sound of a thud. Turning to his right, he saw his son convulsing and bleeding from the head. He realized that his son had been shot.
According to ballistics expert Anselmo Apodaca, a bullet passed through the building’s laminate roof, then through a suspended ceiling, and traveled to the upper right side of the boy’s head.
Hendrik was rushed to a hospital in critical condition.
Cuacuas told Radio W that he learned similar incidents had taken place in the same theater in the past. However, he did not provide proof.
The head of Cinepolis’ legal department, Pablo Jimenez, told Foro TV that there was an incident in March, “also difficult to explain… in which a person received an injury to the foot.” He said he did not know if the injury caused by a gunshot.
Police have closed the theater as the investigation continues.
From there to here, from here to there, things are stolen everywhere.
This time, it’s a 300-pound, three-foot-high bronze statue of Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, star of the recent animated film of the same name.
It’s been swiped from the late author’s hillside estate overlooking the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, police said Tuesday. It was reported missing Monday morning, said Lt. Andra Brown.
Police are trying to ascertain if the theft was related to the movie — starring the voices of Zac Efron and Taylor Swift — that’s still playing in theaters.
“We don’t know if it’s just a prank because of the recent release of the movie, or if someone thinks it’s going to be worth a buck or two because it’s a lot of (metal),” Brown said.
“We’re just hoping that the suspects return it,” she added. “The Geisel family is just asking that it be returned, and they don’t want to pursue the matter any further. Which is not to say the police won’t.”
The statue displayed the Lorax standing on a tree stump with his arms outstretched.
Property manager Carl Romero told the U-T San Diego newspaper Tuesday that he found footprints indicating the thieves had dragged the statue to an access road and hoisted it over a fence. Although he had seen the statue Saturday afternoon, Audrey Geisel — Dr. Seuss’ widow — noticed that it was missing Monday morning.
Audrey Geisel still lives on the estate in the San Diego community of La Jolla, California. Theodor Geisel, author of The Lorax and other best-selling kids’ books as Dr. Seuss, died in 1991 at 87.
The statue was one of two cast by Geisel’s stepdaughter, Lark Grey Dimond-Cate, said Brown. The other was donated to the Dr. Seuss National Memorial in Springfield, Massachusetts, the author’s hometown.
Evidence at the scene indicates that the thieves may have rolled the statue down the hill to a neighboring property, then loaded it onto a waiting vehicle, said Brown.
“I want very badly to get our little Lorax back home where he belongs,” said Dimond-Cate. “Wherever he is, he’s scared, lonely and hungry. He’s not just a hunk of metal to us. He was a family pet.”
She hopes that the Lorax’s recently revived fame is the reason for the theft. Otherwide, Dimond-Cate said, the Lorax may have been stolen for the bronze.
“I hope he hasn’t been taken across the border into Tijuana for scrap,” she said. “Worst-case scenario, I’ll get the foundry to create another one, but he won’t be the same.”
The statue was stolen just before security cameras were installed, and few knew of its location, said Romero.
Audrey Geisel just wants the Lorax returned and doesn’t feel like punishing anyone, Romero added.
“You can’t sell it on eBay.”
There will be no charge against a Vancouver police officer who shot animator Paul Boyd, 39, eight times on the street, killing him, on the night of August 13, 2007.
Extensive investigations have led to no evidence suggesting that Const. Lee Chipperfield used unnecessary or excessive force in handling the incident, Police Complaint Commissioner Stan Lowe said Monday.
Boyd, an animator with Global Mechanic, died from gunshot wounds, including a bullet to the head. Boyd, who had suffered from bipolar disorder for two decades and had been severely depressed, allegedly attacked police with a bicycle chain. He was shot after a struggle with officers.
A director of Ed, Edd n’ Eddy, he was the animator behind the intro sequence on the series. He was a director of The Mr. Hell Show, and provided animation for Gary Larson’s Tales From the Far Side and Mucha Lucha!
Boyd had taught first-semester classical animation for the computer-generated animation course at the Vancouver Film School. He was also director of animation and — with Matthew Charde — co-executive producer of “Eat and Move,” two hand-drawn Flash-animated television PSAs for the Province of Alberta.
Chipperfield was one of several officers who answered a 911 call about a man’s strange behavior. He fired several shots at Boyd.
In 2010, a coroner’s inquest in 2010 heard that Chipperfield fired the final shot, which hit Boyd’s head — even after his partner told him to hold fire and disarmed the animator. Chipperfield testified that he thought Boyd remained armed.
Chipperfield said that said he fired a shot at Boyd’s head when he saw no blood from previous shots and thought that the animator had body armor on.
Boyd’s father has alleged that his son was on his hands and knees when he was shot.
British Columbia Civil Liberties Association executive director David Eby wonders why it took five years for the case to conclude. He also queried the use by the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner of a psychologist who stated in a report that Chipperfield’s emotional reaction to the events and a restricted focus made him “inattentionally” blind.
Said Eby: “The only result of this five-year-long investigation is ever more tortured explanations for an officer’s actions in shooting a disarmed and badly injured man in the head.”
Muslim convert Jesse Curtis Morton pleaded guilty Thursday to using a Web site he created to post threats against South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker.
Jesse Curtis Morton, 33, of Brooklyn, admitted in court papers filed with his plea that his Revolution Muslim site was an outlet for al-Qaida propaganda. He also acknowledged that he used the now-defunct site to make thinly veiled threats against others whom he considered enemies of Islam.
Morton also uses the name Younus Abdullah Mohammad. He worked closely with Zachary Adam Chesser, sentenced last year to 25 years in prison for the South Park threats and other crimes.
Days after Chesser was arrested in July 2010, and fearing that he’d be charged as well, Morton left the United States and took a teaching job in Morocco. Arrested last October in Morocco, he has been in custody since then, mostly in solitary confinement at the Alexandria, Virginia city jail.
Morton posted the first issue of the al-Qaida magazine Inspire on his site in 2010, posting a disclaimer saying it “should not be deemed that we are displaying any advice or support, material or otherwise, for any institution deemed illegal or terroristic by the U.S. government and its thought police.”
The magazine included a specific call from al-Qaida cleric Anwar al-Awlaki for the assassination of Seattle cartoonist Molly Nelson, who had suggested “Everybody Draw Muhammad Day” following the controversy over a 2010 South Park episode depicting the prophet Muhammad in a bear costume. Nelson was forced to go into hiding; many Muslims consider drawings of Muhammad to be offensive.
Morton and Chesser worked closely on making statements responding to the South Park controversy that they thought would be allowed legally, but which would still state a clear threat that would encourage others to act violently against Stone and Parker. The statements “predicted” that South Park’s creators would have the same fate as Dutch filmmaker Theo Van Gogh, murdered in 2004 for making a movie that was deemed insulting to Islam. Earlier, Chesser posted a photo of Van Gogh’s corpse and the address of Comedy Central, which airs South Park — and a suggestion that readers “pay a visit” to Stone and Parker.
“He’s acknowledged he broke the law, and it’s just for him to face punishment,” Morton’s lawyer, James Hundley, said after Thursday’s hearing. “He admitted crossing the line, though he was trying very hard not to.”
After the South Park affair, Morton and Chesser discussed the fact that “Revolution Muslim” had become the 68th most searched term on Google. They also sought ways to take advantage of their exposure, an FBI affidavit said.
“In some ways, the South Park threats were probably the least significant of the things that were happening” with Revolution Muslim, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Gordon Kromberg, who prosecuted the case.
A Comedy Central spokeswoman declined comment Thursday on Morton’s guilty plea.
Police have said that Daniel L. Teeples, 39, was responsible for December and January robberies east of Interstate 205 in Vancouver, Washington. They gave the robber his nickname because during the heists, he always wore plaid shirts and a furry hat with ear flaps, similar to the Looney Tunes character.
Superior Court Judge Rich Melnick set bail at $200,000 for the defendant and his alleged getaway driver, Anne L. Bradley, 31. However, he ordered a second hearing Tuesday to establish what evidence there is against both Vancouver defendants.
Teeples is accused of seven robberies in east Vancouver over two months. Bradley is alleged to have been an accomplice to five.
The two “waived” a probable cause report. This means that during their arrest, a police officer didn’t have to write a report describing the evidence against the pair.
However, because the charges are so serious, Melnick asked Deputy Prosecutor Jeff McCarty to explain the allegations. McCarty replied that he didn’t have the reports with all the facts of the case.
Specially, the judge wanted to know what evidence there was for holding the defendants in jail on suspicion of first-degree robbery. “Was there a weapon? Were there (demand) notes?” the judge asked.
McCarty said the case opened up when police caught the two defendants Thursday evening fleeing a Bank of America branch. Police found money and a money tracker on the pair. During an interview with investigators, they admitted to the other robberies, McCarty said.
Beside’s Thursday’s holdup, police have implicated Teeples in the same branch of the US Bank on December 16 and January 18, a second branch of the US Bank on both January 3 and 18, the Key Bank on December 27, and the Bank of America on January 13.
Asked again about a weapon, McCarty said that he didn’t know. The judge then ordered the prosecutor’s office to submit a probable cause affidavit by Tuesday.
Last Friday, the defendants missed their first scheduled appearance because they were too ill from heroin withdrawals, a deputy prosecutor said. Another hearing is set for this coming Friday, when the defendants are scheduled to be arraigned.
Teeples and Bradley remain in Clark County Jail. The judge appointed attorney George Marlton to represent Teeples and attorney Jeffrey Barrar to represent Bradley.
Remarked Melnick, a former deputy prosecutor: “This is a mess.”
The suspected “Elmer Fudd” robber was nabbed by a team of police Thursday night just after he ran from a bank to a getaway car in Vancouver, Washington.
When officers stopped in the parking lot, a man identified as Daniel L. Teeples, 39, was taken into custody and accused of seven counts of first-degree robbery, said Vancouver Police Department spokeswoman Kim Kapp. The driver, identified as 31-year-old Anne Louise Bradley, 31, was charged with five counts of first-degree robbery, Kapp said.
Both were housed in the Clark County Jail.
The robber’s nickname came from the clothing that he habitually wore in each heist. Investigators said that they were looking for Elmer Fudd during their two-month probe. “We’ve been working on this for some time,” Kapp said.
“It’s common in robberies to give the robber a name. In this case, the name fit,” she added.
The Bank of America had reported a robbery at about 5:30 p.m.
“Through the investigation we were able to set up surveillance. We were right there,” said Kapp.
The investigation began last December, growing stronger when several Vancouver banks were robbed through January, Kapp said.
Detectives from the department’s Major Crimes Unit and officers from the Neighborhood Response Team joined forces, she said: “They were there right after the bank was robbed.”
She added that after a man robbed a teller, he ran from the bank on foot with an unidentified amount of money and entered the waiting vehicle.
Teeples will remain in jail, as he’s currently too ill to make the court date.
A robbery suspect may be feeling blue after an appeals court said Tuesday that a Yakima County, Washington judge could allow testimony that he was dressed like a Smurf.
Ernesto Ruiz Cervantes, 21, is currently serving eight years in prison for attacking another youth in Wapato in a 2009 robbery.
The victim testified that he was riding his bike home just after midnight on New Year’s Day when a car roared up behind him, causing him to crash.
A young man he knew as “Smurf” jumped out the vehicle and, holding a knife, demanded, “What do you bang?”
The unnamed victim denied being in a gang. He testified that “Smurf” robbed him of his iPod and other possessions and punched him in the head. Cervantes was prosecuted after the victim later identified him as “Smurf.”
Besides being identified with the cartoon Smurfs, blue is widely associated with Sureo gang members.
Cervantes complained in his appeal that testimony about his nickname and blue clothing was prejudicial. Superior Court Judge Michael McCarthy allowed it, thus, he lamented, constituted an abuse of discretion.
Usually, gang affiliation would be protected free speech, but might not be it it went to motive, said the Division III Court of Appeals in Spokane.
Prosecutors used the testimony about Cervantes being called “Smurf” only to establish the identity of the robber, the court added.
The victim and the police alike knew Cervantes as “Smurf.” He seems to dress like one as well, with blue shoes and a blue belt. Mushrooms similar to those in Smurfs engraved on his belt buckle.
“The fact that the defendant was also dressed in Smurf attire when arrested further established the identity of the robber,” appeals court Judge Kevin Korsmo wrote.
“The evidence was admissible and highly probative. The prejudicial impact was comparatively slight,” he added.
David Seville can’t blame AAAALVINNN! for showing off last Thursday at a suburban Chicago movie multiplex.
Instead, a 34-year-old man has been charged after he allegedly made an all-over appearance in front of kids watching Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked.
Police in North Riverside, Illinois were sent to North Riverside Park Mall’s Classic Cinema upon hearing of a man inside the theater in the altogether. Two officers, who were patrolling inside the mall, responded within a minute.
When they arrived at Theater No. 2, said police, they spotted Edward L. Brown, 34, sitting in his birthday suit in the front row watching the 4 p.m. screening.
Brown, a Chicago resident, walked in front of the audience totally naked about 30 minutes after the movie started, a witness told police. He turned to face the crowd and stretched his hands (and possibly some other bodily parts). He went back to his seat after displaying his assets to 96 moviegoers, including many children, police said.
Police stated that they immediately began to usher patrons out, They then ordered Brown to put on some clothes. Brown was arrested without further incident and escorted out the fire entrance.
The theater manager halted the Chipmunks flick and issued refunds or vouchers to another show.
Police reported that Brown told officers that an unknown female had let him inside the theater for free. She allegedly told him to be seated in the front row, doff his raiment and wait for her so that they could have sex, smoke crack and do heroin.
However, North Riverside Police Chief Anthony Garvey said he couldn’t confirm details of that. Brown’s statements to police were made after he was given his Miranda warning, and North Riverside police policy bars the release of such statements.
Brown was charged with three felony counts of sexual exploitation of children, aged 4, 6 and 6; one misdemeanor count of sexual exploitation of a minor aged 14; and one misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct.
At a Maybrook courthouse hearing, a Cook County judge set Brown’s bail at $100,000. Brown remains in jail.
He next faces the public next Monday in the Maybrook courthouse.
Instead of helping that quartet of kids fight villains, Scooby-Doo has joined the wrong side of the law in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Detectives say that a suspect wearing a distinctive brown Scooby-Doo ski mask robbed the Farm Store at 5511 Dr. MLK Street North on December 9. They hope that someone may recognize the mask and provide information on the suspect’s identity.
At about 3:22 p.m., the suspect entered the store and pointed a black semi-automatic handgun at the clerk, who allowed the suspect to take an unspecified amount of cash from the register. No suspect vehicle was seen.
The video doesn’t provide a clear view of the suspect’s face, but does show him disguised as the famed quasi-Great Dane.
The suspect is described as a black male from 18 to 25 years old, 5’8″ to 5’10″ tall, 160 to 180 pounds, wearing a black short sleeve shirt over a white long sleeve shirt, beige knee-length shorts and black sneakers with white trim. He also wore gloves with a white design on the back and may have been wearing white ear buds for an MP3 player during the robbery.
Anyone with information is asked to call the St. Petersburg Police Department at (727) 893-7780 or use the Tip Line at (727) 892-5000.
A surveillance video of the robbery has been released by the police department at www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1PLiWLYLAM.