1973 brought us the Disney version of Robin Hood, number 21 on the List. This started as a concept for a Reynard the red fox film. Writer Ken Anderson took some basic Reynard story ideas and mixed it into an animal retelling of the Robin Hood tale.
The film was produced on a very small budget of only 1 1/2 million dollars. Because of that, anywhere they could, the director reused earlier animation. Scenes of the Merry Men dancing reuses animation from Snow White dancing with the dwarfs. Interestingly, some animation of Little John was re-purposed bits from The Jungle Book of Baloo. It is interesting because Phil Harris voiced both characters.
Legendary animator Gary Goldman began his career in 1972 with Walt Disney Productions on this film as a rough assistant animator to supervising animator Frank Thomas.
- Traditional Animation
- Walt Disney Studios
- Distributed by: Buena Vista Pictures Distribution
- Cartoon Characters: Robin Hood, Maid Marian, Little John, Prince John, King Richard, Sir Hiss, Lady Kluck, Friar Tuck, Allan-a-Dale, Sheriff of Nottingham, Nutsy, Trigger, Skippy, Sis, Tagalong, Toby Turtle, Otto, Mother Rabbit, Church Mice.
- Voice Actors: Brian Bedford, Peter Ustinov, Phil Harris, Roger Miller, Terry-Thomas, Monica Evans, Andy Devine, Pat Buttram, George Lindsey, Ken Curtis; Full Voice Cast ...
- Directed By Wolfgang Reitherman, Ed Hansen, Dan Alguire, Jeff Patch.
- Produced By Wolfgang Reitherman.
- Animated By Hal King, Art Stevens, Cliff Nordberg, Burny Mattinson, Eric Larson, Don Bluth, Dale Baer, Fred Hellmich, Milt Kahl, Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, John Lounsbery, Dan MacManus; more Animators ...
- Written By Ken Anderson, Frank Thomas, Julius Svendsen, Vance Gerry, Eric Cleworth, David Michener, Larry Clemmons.
- Music: George Bruns, Roger Miller, Floyd Huddleston, Johnny Mercer, Walter Sheets; more Musicians ...
- Editor: Tom Acosta, Jim Melton.
- Originally Released on November 08, 1973.
- Originally Released Theatrically.
- Running Time: 83 minutes.